Monday, December 13, 2010

Olivia in Hong Kong

I truly feel that Hong Kong is where the East meets the West. I'm so sad that I could only stay there a few short days. Unfortunately for me, Hong Kong is a city with too many things to explore and I really hope I get to go back and really see everything.

Probably one of my most memorable moments was heading for a ride on a Duk Ling: a replica of an old ship built 150 years ago. I got to enjoy Hong Kong from an oceanic point of view. Look at this beautiful ship:

I discovered a few different things while there that I believe were hidden treasures. Tung Ping Chau an island off Hong Kong with white beaches, corals and the best snorkelling! 


 

Mai Po Marshes Nature Reserve close to mainland China; a bird lover's paradise:



 

Shocked by the fact that Hong Kong is not all concrete and high rises. To the south lies the most amazing statues. Take a glimpse:

 

I thought that with the language barrier I would really have a hard time getting around. But so many people in Hong Kong speak English, it's almost unbelievable. Like the other 90% of the population I took public transport to get around as there is almost no other choices. Sardined on the train I felt like a local getting myself from point a to b.

All in all I must say Hong Kong is fabulous. I have never seen a city so 'condensed' and yet so functional. The streets are packed yet nobody is pushing. Having been in NYC for so long, I got used to the fast paced life that is typical 'New York'. I really hope I get to return to Hong Kong, the city that never sleeps.

 



 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment